We recognise that each patient has unique health care needs and we encourage patients at CVSKL to speak openly with the healthcare team, take part in treatment choices and promote safety by being well informed and involved in their care.
As a partner in overall care, we want you to know your rights as well your responsibilities during your stay at our hospital.
- You have the right to considerate, respectful and compassionate care in a safe setting regardless of your age, gender, race, nationality, religion and disabilities
- You have the right to respect for your cultural, spiritual and personal values, beliefs and preferences
- You have the right to receive care in an environment free from all sorts of abuse, neglect and mistreatment
- You have the right to have someone remain with you for emotional support during your hospital stay, unless your visitor’s presence compromises your or others’ rights or safety e.g. ICU/HDU
- You have the right to know the name of the doctor / provider who has primary responsibility for coordinating your care and the names and professional relationships of other doctors, nurses and all health care team members providing your care
- You have the right to request the services of an interpreter, with advance notification
- You have the right to receive information about your health status, diagnosis, course of treatment, benefits and risks of treatment and the expected outcome for treatment, including unanticipated outcomes
- You have the right to give written informed consent before any non-emergency procedure commences
- You have the right to request or refuse treatment, to the extent permitted by law. However, you do not have the right to demand inappropriate or medically unnecessary treatment or services or to not cooperate with the care necessary for your safety based on the plan of care
- You have the right to have appropriate assessment and management of your pain and be involved in decisions to treat your pain
- You have a right to have your personal privacy respected and to have a chaperone for any type of exam
- You have the right to confidential treatment of all communications and records pertaining to your care and stay in the hospital to the extent required by law
- You have a right to request for your medical report
- You have the right to give or refuse consent for recordings, photographs, films or other images to be produced or used for internal or external purposes other than identification, diagnosis or treatment
- You have the right to examine and receive explanation of CVSKL’s bill regardless of source of payment
- You have a right to voice your concern about the care you receive. If you have a problem or complaint, you may talk to your doctor, nurse manager or department manager
You can file a grievance (complaint) and be informed of the process to review and resolve the grievance without fear of retribution or denial of care.
Please contact the Patient Liaison and Customer Service Department.
If your concern is not adequately resolved, you may also contact Director General, Ministry of Health.
- You are expected to provide complete and accurate personal details including full name, address, telephone number, date of birth, insurance and employer when required
- You are expected to provide complete and accurate information about your health and medical history including present condition, past illness, hospital stays, medications and allergies and any other matters that pertain to your health including perceived risks
- You are expected to speak up and ask questions when you do not understand information or instructions. If you cannot follow through with your treatment plan you are responsible to tell your doctor.
- You are responsible for outcomes if you do not follow the care and treatment plan
- You are expected to follow CVSKL’s rules, regulations and policies affecting patient care and conduct
- You are expected to be considerate of CVSKL’s facilities and equipment and to use them in such a manner so as not to abuse them
- You are expected to treat all hospital staff, other patients and visitors with courtesy, respect, mindful of noise levels, privacy and number of visitors
- You are requested to leave valuables at home and bring only necessary items for your hospital stay
- You have the responsibility to keep appointments, be on time and call ahead to CVSKL if you are unable to keep your appointment
- You have the responsibility to pay bills promptly to ensure your financial obligations for your healthcare are fulfilled